Vote OftenOctober 27th is Election Day in all Ontario municipalities. Did you know that in municipal elections non-residents can also vote? You can vote in any municipality where you own land or are a tenant. You can only have one residence but you can be a tenant in many ways such as a commercial property or a campsite.
All Bare Oaks members with a long-term campsite are non-residential tenants under Ontario Municipal Elections Act and are therefore eligible to vote in East Gwillimbury.
To vote, you need to be:
- A Canadian Citizen
- At least 18 years of age
- A resident or tenant (or their spouse)
Why should you vote?
- To show that we are part of the municipality and that we care
- Because the opinion and needs of Bare Oaks members matter
- Because your vote can make a difference. There are 139 potential voters at Bare Oaks. When you look at the 2010 results for East Gwillimbury, you can see that 139 votes could have a big impact.
How to VoteTo check if you are on the list, go here: http://www.eastgwillimbury.ca/Government/EG_Vote_2014/Check_if_you_are_on_the_Voters_List.htm
If you have not received a voter card, you are probably not on the list. So just:
- Print this form: http://www.BareOaks.ca/files/EG-ApplicationToVote-BareOaks.pdf
- Or pick one up at the Bare Oaks office
- Fill it out and take it with ID to the Civic Centre (Leslie St. & Mount Albert Rd.) on weekdays between 8:30am and 4:30pm. If you do this by October 21, you will be added to the voter's list.
- Or you can simply take the form (with ID) to an advanced poll or to the polling station on election day (Oct.27) and present it there.
Vote EarlyEven if you live far away, you can vote at one of the advanced polls. (some are on weekends) There are advanced polls on October 11, 14, 16, 18 and 21. A complete list is found here: http://www.eastgwillimbury.ca/Government/EG_Vote_2014/Advanced_Poll_Dates.htm
Know the candidates
- A complete list of candidates is available here: http://www.eastgwillimbury.ca/Government/EG_Vote_2014/Certified_List_of_Candidates.htm
- You can attend an all-candidates meeting on Thursday October 9th organized by the Mount Albert Village Association (of which Bare Oaks is an active member) at 7:30pm in the Sports Complex at 1914B Mount Albert Rd.
- We have asked all candidates to submit some information that is relevant to Bare Oaks voters. We will be publishing their answers on October 10th.